We're an evergreen fund investing in startups that invent technology to maximize humanity's creative potential. As society shifts from a paradigm of consumption to a paradigm of creation, Silicon Valley remains stubbornly focused on the commodification of content. By contrast, we see a historic moment for value creation in human-centered creativity platforms.
Our investment thesis is focused on customers, markets, and use cases. Within that niche, however, we are able to invest across a wide range of industries and regions. Portfolio companies fall into three broad categories:
Core Innovation in Frontier Tech — technology that makes wholly new forms of creative expression possible or radically lowers barriers of access to existing systems.
Tools and Platforms — products that expand opportunities for creativity, with a particular emphasis on casual creatives and indie artists.
Networks and Marketplaces — platforms that connect creatives throughout the developing world to global customers and markets.
Unlike traditional closed-end VC funds, which typically have 10-year lifespans, an evergreen fund is structured as a permanent company. Why does this matter?
- We can work on building long-term value, instead of just chasing quick exits.*
- The evergreen model fosters a stronger alignment of interests with our portfolio companies. Traditional VCs sometimes push portfolio companies toward high-risk, maximum-growth-at-any-cost strategies that make sense for the investor but not necessarily for the company. Our goal is to help them build profitable, healthy businesses.
- We can spend less time fundraising and more time with our portfolio companies.
- We can employ a wide range of investment strategies and instruments to match the right form of capital to each opportunity.
* We love big exits as much as anyone, but that's not the only way to build a great company!